In celebration of Pride Month, Wiki Education is hosting a free Wiki Scholars course focused on expanding Wikipedia’s coverage of notable LGBTQ+ people. Through this project, Wiki Education will train a diverse group of academics, scholars, and university students how to contribute content to Wikipedia and better represent influential LGBTQ+ figures to the public. Thanks to generous funding, we are seeking participants, especially faculty or graduate students in the LGBTQ+ community, to join us in making Wikipedia more representative.
Only 20,517 biographies on English Wikipedia—out of 1.8 million—identify the subject as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. That’s barely 1%. Wiki Education aims to bring more diverse voices and content to Wikipedia, helping the encyclopedia truly represent human history and knowledge. This course presents an opportunity to increase public awareness of LGBTQ+ contributions while bringing more diverse voices to Wikipedia.
Course details: Apply by June 21, 2021
Course dates: June 29 – August 5, 2021 (6 weeks)
Time commitment per week: 1 hour weekly collaborative meeting, 2 hours independent work
Class meeting time: We will select the day and time of meetings according to applicants’ availability. Please select your available time(s) during the application process.
Goal: Selected participants will develop at least one Wikipedia biography of a notable LGBTQ+ figure currently underrepresented on Wikipedia.
We have received generous funding to support several participants through this training process. We invite all interested scholars to apply for these seats, especially those in the LGBTQ+ community.
Expectations of participants
- No experience with Wikipedia is required or expected.
- Available for virtual meetings on Zoom, weekly for one hour.
- Participants commit a minimum of 3 hours/week, including a one-hour weekly class and independent work.
- Participants will make significant contributions to at least one Wikipedia page by the end of the course.
- Participants must have access to the internet and a computer.
- Participants will fill out a short survey at the end of the course.
- Select participants will get the opportunity to be featured on Wiki Education’s blog.